Sunday 24 February 2013

It's A Spring Thing


As the hours of daylight grow longer and the ground begins to thaw, there is but one thing on my mind... the highly anticipated arrival of spring! The warmth of the sun will soon grace us with its presence and the scent of freshly mown grass will intoxicate us. Oh how I have sorely missed it. 

I can't wait to get my hands dirty! For me, the arrival of spring is a time of great productivity in the garden and with that, comes great planning. Last year, I managed to plant 200 bulbs before spring's end and the array of colours and fragrances that filled my garden were well worth every turn of the soil. A little hand-drawn map of the garden plotted with each bulb's location was of great help in determining which bulbs did best and which failed to establish themselves. I am anxiously awaiting this year's first growth and seeing which bulbs have the most success during their second season.

I never thought I would find myself living in a city environment, but residing just moments away from the most beautiful scenery, cottages and farmland in the whole of England is of great consolation. Despite our neighbourhood's urban aesthetic, our home maintains a traditional English theme with old world Victorian, Georgian and Elizabethan elements. I strive to maintain a classic, English cottage-style garden with a plentitude of roses, bluebells, herbs, ivy and trailing flowers in subtle hues. I find my American roots influence some of my gardening ideas and I make a strong attempt at growing my own pumpkins every year, although they don't usually result in the jaw-droppingly impressive pumpkins of Connecticut. I suppose they are more sentimentally rewarding though as they remind me that my days in England over these past two years haven't made me lose my American touch!

For the next month I will have to try to keep my spring aspirations at bay, but the cold of winter can't keep me from dreaming. Wishing all of my readers an enjoyable last few days of frosty wonder and as always, I'm here for any ideas you want to send my way!

Warm regards,
Jennifer



3 comments:

  1. You write soo well! I wish I was able to write something like this when I was in Shrewsbury(sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing can make me taste a glimpse of spring. We never have many seasons in Bangkok.

    BLOG | SHOP | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! your blog looks very lovely and interesting. im glad if you visit my blog, too<3 keep in touch!

    xx
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete